White Lotus

My photo
Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
I wished to dedicate this blog to all sentient beings. At the same time, it is my intention to share my humble knowledge of the Buddha Dharmma with all. Upon reading these articles, may all sentient beings acquire some spiritual wisdom. Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Yours in the Dharmma, White Lotus

May 9, 2009

He is Omniscient

He Knows All

When the Buddha was on the way to Gaya to deliver His first sermon soon after His Enlightenment, Upaka, a naked ascetic having seen him asked:


'Your reverence, your faculities are quite pure,
your complexion is very bright, very clear.
On account of whom have you gone forth,
or who is your teacher,
or whose Dhamma do you profess?'

The Buddha replied:
'Victorious over all, omniscient am I,
Among all things undefiled,
Leaving all, through death of a craving freed,
By knowing for myself,
whom should I point to as my teacher?'

'For me there is no teacher,
One like me does not exist,
In the world with its gods (devas),
No one equals me'

For I am perfected in this world,
A teacher supreme am I,
I alone am all-awakened,
Become cool am I, Nibbana-attained.'

To turn the dharma-wheel,
I go to Kasi's city,
Beating a drum of deathlessness,
In a world that's become blind.'
Middle Length Sayings 1
Verses 214-215

No comments:

Post a Comment